As Congress returns to session this week, one of the most pressing issue that should be addressed is the Affordable Care Act, said U.S. Rep. Joe Wilson during a press conference Friday at the Greater North Augusta Chamber of Commerce.
Wilson, who represents South Carolina’s second congressional district that includes North Augusta, unveiled his agenda for 2014 during the press conference.
The agenda focuses on four main areas: job creation through economic growth; reducing Washington’s spending; energy independence and efficiency; and promoting the military and veterans.
Addressing health care is one of the items that falls under the job-creation area.
“I’m still concerned about the health care law,” he said as he discussed some of his concerns.
Claiming that the current health care law destroys jobs, there’s also a concern about those who are “falling through the cracks,” he said.
Wilson said he and other congressmen, “have alternatives to the health care law that I believe should be considered.”
The health care enrollment Web site has gained a lot of attention over the last few months. Wilson said that he foresees the next crisis as being the security of the Web site, saying that he and others fear it could be susceptible to hacking.
Wilson’s complete 2014 agenda:
JOB CREATION THROUGH ECONOMIC GROWTH
• Cut excessive regulations to help small businesses grow
• Work with local chambers, county, regional and state agencies to bring jobs to South Carolina
• Protect South Carolina’s Right to Work laws
• Repeal and replace the government health care takeover bill, which destroys jobs
REDUCE WASHINGTON’S OUT-OF-CONTROL SPENDING
• Make government more accountable by sponsoring legislation calling for biennial appropriations
• Cut taxes on families
• Support a balanced budget amendment to the Constitution
ENERGY INDEPENDENCE AND EFFICIENCY
• Promote construction of the Keystone XL Pipeline
• Continue to advocate for current and future missions at the Savannah River Site
• Fight to ensure SRS continues environmental cleanup missions
• Promote clean energy across South Carolina via Energy Savings Performance Contracts
PROMOTE THE MILITARY AND VETERANS
• Maintain our military’s responsiveness and capabilities to promote peace through strength
• Protect TRICARE benefits and sustain the quality of life for military families as Chairman of the HASC Subcommittee on Military Personnel
• Find efficiencies within the Department of Defense
• Support Guard and Reserve units in their transition to the workforce
• Ensure our veterans receive quality health care