• Aiken and Edgefield counties’ public schools winter break continues through Tuesday. Classes resume Jan. 3.
• Registration for Aiken County’s adult education day classes is 9 a.m. Jan. 3, and 6 p.m. for evening classes. For more information about registering or available classes, call (803) 641-2476.
• Aiken County Schools Area 2 Advisory Council will meet at 6:30 p.m. Jan. 5 at Paul Knox Middle.
• The art room needs baby wipes.
• Yearbooks cost $22 and can be ordered online at www.
jostensyearbooks.com by credit card through Jan. 22. If paying by check, make it payable to the school, place it in an envelope with the pupil’s and teacher’s names written on the outside and turn it in to room 3A.
Fox Creek High
• The school has announced a vacant seat on its board of directors. Those interested in running for the position should come to the school’s main office, fill out a declaration of candidacy and submit it to the main office staff by 4 p.m. Jan. 6. Elections will be held 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Jan. 12. Popular vote determines who wins the seat.
• The third nine weeks begin Jan. 10.
• There will be no school Jan. 16 in observance of Martin Luther King holiday.
• Jan. 27 is a teacher workday. No school for students.
• The science fair will be Jan. 31 through Feb. 3.
• The Miss FCHS pageant will be at 7 p.m. Feb. 4 at Wesley United Methodist Church.
• Tutoring is available in all subjects at 3:15 p.m. Thursdays in Mrs. Smith’s room. See Mrs. Smith for a reservation.
• All students planning to attend college must have their parents fill out the Federal Student Aid Application.
• The North Augusta Arts Council is sponsoring the annual NA Idol Show on March 20 at North Augusta High School. Auditions will the arts council judges will be held in late January. Each elementary school can send up to seven contestants to the next phase in the competition. Auditions at Hammond Hill will be in mid-January. Pupils in first through fifth grades may audition in the vocal, instrumental or dance categories. Performances should be limited to three minutes. No lip syncing is allowed. A karaoke CD or live accompaniment is required for the competition with the arts council judges. See Mrs. Kight for an application to audition.
• There will be no school for pupils Jan. 13. It is a teacher workday.
• The Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. holiday is Jan. 16. There will be no school.
• There are many items in the lost and found that need to be claimed. If your child has lost an item, check the lost and found in the lunchroom.
• Yearbooks cost $28 and can be ordered now.
• Yearbook ad forms and money are due Jan. 20. Contact your child’s teacher if you need a form.
• The school is collecting duct tape to make rain sticks for the recycling program.
• To access the homework hot line, call (803) 279-2511 and enter the mailbox number for your child’s teacher when you hear the recording. To listen to assignments for another teacher, press * before the message ends and the system will take you back to the beginning to select another teacher.
• School T-shirts are on sale for $12. Make checks payable to MMS PTO.
• The school’s 2012 yearbooks can be ordered through Jan. 20 for $25. The yearbooks are printed in color. Accessory items such as an autograph section, photo pockets and a clear protective cover are also available for an additional cost. To order a yearbook, send an order form, along with payment, to Mrs. Howard in room 218. Make checks payable to the school
• The school is participating in My Coke Rewards. Sign up at www.mycokerewards.com to donate points. Box tops also are being collected.
• The Turtle Store needs monetary donations or unopened, school-appropriate toys such as items from the dollar store.
• Mossy Creek mugs are being sold for $5. They are insulated, covered and have the school’s turtle logo on the outside. Send a note to your child’s teacher with payment to purchase a mug.
• Volunteer training will be held at 2:30 and 2:45 p.m. Jan. 4 and noon and 12:15 p.m. Jan. 27.
• Student Council will meet after school on Jan. 9. Please arrange for a ride at 4 p.m.
• School Improvement Council will meet at 3 p.m. Jan. 9.
• Class pictures will be taken Jan. 12.
• There will be no school Jan. 13. Teachers will report to work.
• Nerd Day is Jan. 17.
North Augusta Elementary
• Training is required to volunteer in the classroom or chaperone a field trip. Let your child’s teacher know you are interested in volunteering to get scheduled for a training session.
• Personal ads, Thank-a-Teacher/Staff ads and business ads are still available for the yearbook. To purchase an ad, contact Karen Doom at email@example.com. Pictures are still being accepted as well.
• Box tops and Coke points are being collected. The school has an account at www.mycokerewards.com. Codes can be entered on the Web site or dropped off at the school.
• Extra cookie dough is for sale. E-mail Teresa Larson at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
• Augusta State University offers tours from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday through Friday.
• Aiken Technical College offers campus tours 1 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays and 9 a.m. Fridays. For information, call the admissions office at (803) 593-9231.
• Clemson University has campus tours at 9:45 a.m. and 1:45 p.m. Monday through Friday on select dates. Call (864) 656-4789 for information and to reserve a spot.
• Free Application for Federal Student Aid forms should be filled out online. Tax information from 2011 will be needed from parents, guardians and/or students. Students need to check with their college for the priority deadline for the financial aid application.
• Spartanburg Methodist College offers full-tuition financial aid to 2011 graduates who are eligible for the Life Scholarship.
• The Harry Hampton Fund offers three scholarships for students majoring in a natural resources discipline such as wildlife biology, fisheries biology, forestry, marine science or law enforcement. Scholarship deadline is Jan. 31. See Mrs. Smiley for an application.
• The James O. Thomason Scholarship is available for students furthering their education in print or photojournalism, advertising, public relations or mass communications. Deadline is Jan. 31. See Mrs. Smiley for an application.
• The SunTrust Off to College Scholarship sweepstakes is open to seniors at www.offtocollege.info. Winners are drawn every two weeks through May 11.
• To search scholarships, visit www.fastweb.com.
• Ink cartridges and cellphones are being collected for recycling.
• The School Improvement Council brings together parents, teachers, pupils and community stakeholders to collaborate on school improvements. The council is looking for people to join. If interested, call (803) 442-6200 or e-mail Donna Bradberry at email@example.com.
• Use the school code 70091034 when shopping at Office Depot to donate 5 percent of the purchase to the school.
• PTO meetings will be held Jan. 18, Feb. 15, March 21 and April 18. Attendance earns one hour toward the required 30 family stewardship hours.
• Yearbooks can be paid for by mailing a check to Jostens or visiting www.
jostensyearbooks.com. Eighth-grade ads can be purchased for the yearbook. See Mrs. Horne for a form.
• Volunteers are needed during lunch on Mondays, Tuesdays and Fridays to help with PTO lunch sales. Lunch is from 11:15 a.m. to 1 p.m. Those interested in volunteering on any of those days can contact Sandy Zellar at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• An information session for eighth-graders and their parents will be held 6-7:30 p.m. Jan. 23 for parents and pupils. Information will be given about Individual Graduation Plan meetings that will be held in February. For more information, e-mail Jenifer Williams at jenifer
email@example.com or call the school.
• Volunteers are needed for the canteen. Contact Karena Williams at
firstname.lastname@example.org. The PTO canteen is open Mondays and Tuesdays. Snacks are 75 cents each and sodas are $1.25.
• Bruster’s hot dogs and nachos will be sold on Thursdays for $2 each. Pizza is sold on Fridays for $2.
• PTO memberships cost $10. There is a reusable coupon sponsored by Monterrey Mexican Restaurant of North Augusta on the back of the membership cards. The reusable coupon allows you to receive $4 off any purchase of $25 or more Sunday through Thursday. The discount is valid through August.
• The PTO collects box tops, used ink cartridges and My Coke Rewards.
• Tutorial services are available to all pupils 3:30-4 p.m. Monday through Friday: Monday, science; Tuesday, social studies; Wednesday, math; Thursday, English; and Friday, exploratory. The areas will be tested as follows: Monday, exploratory; Tuesday, science; Wednesday, social studies; Thursday, math; and Friday, English.
• There will be a VCS alumni basketball game Jan. 27. All alumni are asked to fill out an alumni update form and mail, fax or e-mail it to email@example.com. The form is available on the school’s Web site, www.
• The school collects box tops and used ink cartridges.
• Use the school code 70091029 when shopping at Office Depot to donate 5 percent of the purchase to the school