• Army National Guard Pvt. Gerald M. Ballard has graduated from basic combat training at Fort Sill in Lawton, Okla. He is the son of Patricia Krepps Conoly of North Augusta and Gerald Ballard of Augusta. He is a 2011 graduate of Curtis Baptist School in Augusta.
• Marine Corps Pvt. Thomas D. Seigler, a 2011 graduate of North Augusta High School, has completed basic training at Marine Corps Recruit Depot in Parris Island, S.C.
• Marine Corps Pfc. Sebastian P. Sweeney has completed basic training at Marine Corps Recruit Depot in Parris Island, S.C. Sweeney is the son of Raymond and Marcie Sweeney of North Augusta.
• Corri Elizabeth Duke, of North Augusta, graduated Dec. 14 from Newberry College with a Bachelor of Science in early childhood education. She was also named to the dean’s list for the fall semester.
• Evan Darr, of North Augusta, was named to the dean’s list at Newberry College for the fall semester.
• Aiken and Edgefield counties’ public schools winter break continues through Jan. 2. Classes resume Jan. 3.
• Yearbooks cost $22 and can be ordered online at www.jostensyearbooks.com by credit card through Jan. 22. If paying by check, make it payable to the school, place it in an envelope with the pupil’s and teacher’s names written on the outside and turn it in to room 3A.
Fox Creek High
• The school has announced a vacant seat on its board of directors. Those interested in running for the position should come to the school’s main office, fill out a declaration of candidacy and submit it to the main office staff by 4 p.m. Jan. 6. Elections will be held 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Jan. 12. Popular vote determines who wins the seat..
• The following pupils are Bumble Bee Writing winners: Laisha Galvan, first grade; Lexie Parker, second grade; Graycen Sanders, second grade; Odalis DeAvila, fourth grade; Ansley Aguirre, fourth grade; and Reagan Creasy, fifth grade.
• The following pupils have become members of the Double H Reading Club: Talisha Curry, Shelby Enevoldsen, Zachary Johnson, Tyler Buck, Abby Thornton and Drew Stevens.
• 2011-12 yearbooks can be ordered for $26. Yearbooks will be in color and have a hard cover with the school name and year imprinted on the front. Checks should be made payable to HHE PTO.
• Mrs. Joanna Higgenbottom is the yearbook editor and CEO this year.
• Dr. Alex Mabe will have an informational meeting for parents about ADD and ADHD at 6:30 p.m. Jan. 12 in the school’s library.
• There will be no school for pupils Jan. 13. It is a teacher workday.
• The Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. holiday is Jan. 16. There will be no school.
• Buzz Cards are available for $5.
• If you have a refrigerator you would like to donate for the health room, contact Rhonda Adkinson at (803) 442-6170.
• There are many items in the lost and found that need to be claimed. If your child has lost an item, check the lost and found in the lunchroom.
• Yearbooks cost $25 and can be ordered now. Yearbooks will be in color. After Jan. 1, yearbooks will cost $28.
• Yearbook ad forms and money are due Jan. 20. Contact your child’s teacher if you need a form.
• The school is collecting duct tape to make rain sticks for the recycling program.
• MES PTO membership is $5 per family. Make checks payable to MES PTO. There are also volunteer opportunities available.
• Parents and guardians are reminded that when your child misses school, you have three days to turn in an excuse. Family vacations are not excused absences. Children with fever should not be brought to school.
• To access the homework hot line, call (803) 279-2511 and enter the mailbox number for your child’s teacher when you hear the recording. To listen to assignments for another teacher, press * before the message ends and the system will take you back to the beginning to select another teacher.
Mossy Creek Elementary
• Eden O'Hara won the school spelling bee. Court Powell came in second, and Amario Bauknight is the alternate. Eden and Court will compete in the area spelling bee at North Augusta High at 4:30 p.m. Jan. 12.
• The following pupils were named Friends of the Month for December: Kindergarten: Allen Song, Amanda Prince, Alex Ramirez, Seth Farrow, Brenae Weber, Cartier Carroll, Bryana Thomas and Hannah Rucker; first grade: Karlee Kolb, Jagger Riley, Caralynn Freville, Cooper Seider, Benjamin Bafford, Thomas O'Hara and Colyn Moore; second grade: Braedon Murphy, Kennedy Sherlock, Ny'Aisa Curry, Kayla Evans and Eric Abdullah; third grade: Hailey Warner, Zi'Yon Reese, Connor Mihoulides, Brandy McNair and Tristan Knight; fourth grade: Jairus Dobey, Aaliyah Martin, Karrington Sullivan and Gisele Gorman; and fifth grade: Jonathon Lance Riley, Melanie Snider, Mercedes Johnson, Sarah Sylvester and Patrick Carroll.
• Amanda Berg and Leigh Bennett were Employees of the Month for November.
North Augusta Elementary
• The following made the book club: 100 books: Blakely Holton, Collin Stephens, Jaylen Bunch, Jadah O'Bryant, Hannah McClure; 300 books: Tamia Jenkins; 600 books: Grady Walker.
• The following made the Principal's Writing Board: Drew Pond, Barrett Coleman, Dasani Warthaw, William McGee and Thomas Godsey.
• Augusta State University offers tours from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday through Friday.
• Aiken Technical College offers campus tours 1 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays and 9 a.m. Fridays. For information, call the admissions office at (803) 593-9231.
• To search scholarships, visit www.fastweb.com.
North Augusta Middle
• The School Improvement Council brings together parents, teachers, pupils and community stakeholders to collaborate on school improvements. The council is looking for people to join. If interested, call (803) 442-6200 or e-mail Donna Bradberry at email@example.com.
Our Lady of Peace
• PTO meetings will be held Jan. 18, Feb. 15, March 21 and April 18. Attendance earns one hour toward the required 30 family stewardship hours.
• Yearbooks can be paid for by mailing a check to Jostens or visiting www.jostensyearbooks.com. Eighth-grade ads can be purchased for the yearbook. See Mrs. Horne in room 115 for a form.
• There will be no school through Jan. 2.